8.12.2010

Sh-low Day



So K.yo and I got a bit peckish on our way to Trader Joe's today and decided to stop by Slow, a new restaurant that opened in Berk a week ago. The Chef's mission is to provide gourmet, not-overly-priced food from local/seasonal ingredients. Sounds good to me! Lunch actually does look quite affordable...sandwiches range from $5-6. But, dinner's a tiny bit more pricey. Plates range $9-12. However, the Braised Short Rib with Mascarpone Polenta, Escabeche Carrot, and Roasted Cippolini Onion was quite tasty. The short rib was perfectly tender, and the polenta was creamy nom-ness. K.yo and I both ordered it and were quite satisfied. We also left with a Double Chocolate Chip Cookie that was probably one of the best double chocolate chip cookies we've ever had. :) Definitely check it out. But if you're strapped for cash, go for lunch. They have pulled pork! Oh, and also vegetarian options!

After said adventure, I decided to bake some matcha green tea cupcakes. I absolutely love cupcakes, but every now and then, I can't justify buying one for 3 bucks, when I could bake a dozen for the same price. Special K. (my roomie) and I have been eye-ing the "Orient Express" recipe in her Cupcake book...basically it's an almond, green tea cupcake with ying-yang frosting. As you can tell from the pictured I avoided said frosting. Oh, and I despise anything with the word "orient" in it, but I thought I'd give these cupcakes the benefit of the doubt. Honestly, the recipe was a bit weird. The consistency of the dough was kind of bread-y. Not quite sure why...maybe there were too many almonds? IDK. Frosting, which was from another recipe, turned out pretty well though. I had to bust out a new can of matcha green tea, which has a prettier tint of green than my last. So, if you're making green tea frosting, know that the color will vary depending on the matcha.

No comments:

Post a Comment