8.14.2010

"Forget it, RP, it's Chinatown."




After reading a blog that claimed SF Chinatown's Hing Lung had the second best Duck Wonton Noodles in the city, I thought I'd give the place another try. I've been trying to avoid this place for the past few years because I've received really bad service on occasion. So, I know everyone's response (and my response) to this comment should be (à la the title of this post), "Forget it, RP, it's Chinatown. There ain't no service." I mean, this place admittedly has a bajillion customers, so they're not losing anything from me not going there. BUT, I'd still like a little service, please. Anyways, somehow I manage to find myself there a couple times a year, since my family's been going there for a million years. This time, the sis and I decided to start out with a brunch-y dish of Zhaliang, which is basically a chinese donut wrapped with a rice noodle roll. That explanation sounds kind of weird, but it's quite tasty! So far, so good with the food. Next, we had the Duck Wonton Noodle soup that the blog was talking about. Not too shabby. Broth, noodles, and wontons were pretty noms. (Although, I am the type who prefers my mom's home-made wontons.) The duck was well marinated and roasted, but a tiny bit fatty. To finish off our meal, we had Beef Chow Fun with Black Bean Sauce. I, myself prefer a less saucy chow fun, but this is my sis' fave dish. Sauce was good. Noodles were good. A little bit too much beef, and some of it was kind of chew-y. Overall analysis of Hing Lung: Not THAT bad. Service this time was actually alright, and we got a shit ton of food. So for now, I'll try not to hate too much on this place.

Hing Lung
674 Broadway (b/w Stockton and Grant)

No comments:

Post a Comment