8.01.2010

RAMEN CRAZE






Is it just me or is there an intense ramen craze sweeping across San Francisco?! Hapa Ramen received hella hype earlier in the summer. Namu started serving ramen as a special on certain days at the Ferry Building Farmer's Market. And now Ken Ken Ramen is appearing in the Mission!!!! Holy mother of ramen. I love love love those springy Japanese noodles, but might we be doing too much of a good thing? Anyways, here's a couple rants on the ramen I've recently reviewed:

Hapa Ramen: The "Big Daddy Bowl" is pretty noms. Fried-Chicken + braised pork are amazing. Noodles were okay, but I'm admittedly quite picky.
  • Pictured Upper Left
    @ the Ferry Building Farmer's Market on Thursdays
    (+ Coffee Bar on Saturday Nights: 1890 Bryant St, San Francisco)
Namu: Once again, braised pork shoulder and broth freaking amazing. Noodles were also pretty good...but again with the picky-snobbery.
  • Pictured Upper Right
    @ the Ferry Building Farmer's Market
    (The bowl I bought was a Saturday Special, so I'm not sure how often they'll have it.)
Halu: My fave ramen place outside of Japan so far. Noodles were amazing, and the Kara Age was quite impressive. Only setback is that it's kind of in a random spot in the city. (Well at least for me.) But if you find yourself in the inner Richmond, GO THERE.
  • Pictured Lower Left
    312 8th Ave, San Francisco
Ippuku: I freaking flipped out when this place opened. I LOVE IZAKAYAS, and this place reminds me a lot of Japan. The noodles and broth are delicious, but expect to get a tiny portion. Everything is served tapas-style and admittedly a bit expensive. You might not want to go there when you're super hungry.
  • Pictured Lower Right
    2130 Center St, Berkeley

No comments:

Post a Comment